Although many aspects of older homes can be kept in operational condition through regular upkeep and maintenance, electrical systems are not among them. Years of use can make electrical systems unstable and a danger to your home, so old systems should be updated to meet modern standards.
Benefits of Upgrading Your Electrical Panel
Over the years, people have come up with new, safer ways of supplying homes with electricity, and one of these upgraded systems is a more effective electrical panel. Upgrading your electrical panel can help your home to be safer from overloaded circuits and electrical fires, as well as save you money, make your home more environmentally friendly, and save you time.
What is an Electrical Panel?
Your home’s electrical panel is the central connection point for your home to the municipal power grid. It divides up the electricity to distribute it around your home through a series of fuses or breakers that regulate how much electricity is sent through each individual circuit. The electrical panel is often called the fuse box or breaker box and it is usually located in a garage or utility room.
Do I Need to Upgrade My Electrical Panel?
Before you can know whether or not your electrical panel needs to be upgraded, it is necessary to inspect it to determine its age and function. Ask yourself the following questions when looking at the electrical panel:
- Is the home older than 20 years?
- Does the electrical panel still use fuses instead of breaker switches?
- Does the electrical panel ever feel warm?
- Is there ever a funny smell coming from the electrical panel?
- Do the fuses or breakers in the electrical panel break or trip frequently?
- Are all of the home’s appliances running at full capacity?
- When an appliance is turned on, do the lights in the home dim or flicker?
- Are there any plans to do a renovation or addition to the home?
If the answer to any of these questions was “yes,” then it is very likely that the electrical panel needs to be replaced. To avoid shock or electrocution, it is vitally important to always contact a licensed electrician to conduct any changes to an electrical panel.
Checkout our switchboard upgrade service: http://www.tamworthelectrician.com/tamworth-electrical-switchboard-upgrade